Welcome to week 16 of the 'The Desperate Housewife's Quilt'. Todays block is about making an improvised Kaleidoscope block. Remember, this is not a quilt-a-long. Just follow the blog every week and pick and choose which blocks you would like to make. I will be injecting some uniqueness into traditional blocks, applique, three dimensional, crazy and thread-art blocks. If you make a block please post it on the Flickr group for everyone to enjoy. Also, I have this nifty button under each post that allows you to save the post as a PDF.
Caught in a Web
The restless souls haunt the night and the spiders spin their webs to catch their innocent prey.
- 2 - 2.5" x 18" strips of black fabric
- 2 - 2.5" x 18" strips of orange fabric
Making the Kaleidoscope
- Sew the black and orange strips together. Make 2 sets.
- Using a kaleidoscope ruler, cut 8 wedges from the strips, rotating the rule up and down for each cut. This will alternate the colours.
- Lay the 8 pieces out and sew 2 sets of 4 together.
- Shift the second half up one section.
- Square block to 6.5" x 8.5"
- From the remaining strip set, cut a 2.5" x 8.5" strip using the centre of the strip and measuring 1.25" either side. Sew to top of block.
I hope you enjoyed this Halloween themed block. I added some decorative stitching to make a sticky web. Maybe a spider and a fly somewhere in this block would finish it nicely.
*** Copyright 2011 Jane Davidson. Please remember that these blocks and any blocks designed by guest bloggers should not be used for commercial purposes ( sold as a pattern, published etc) without the written consent of the owner ***